Thursday, January 13, 2005

Can God Do It?

Recently I asked a group of Christians, "What does God want most of all?" They responded with a variety of good answers, but none of them hit the one I wanted them to think about. So I reminded them of the passage that states that God does not want "anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."(2 Peter 3:9)

I then asked them, "what does God want most of all?" and they responded with, "for all people to be saved." So I asked them, "Will all people be saved? Will God get what he wants?" They immediately responded with a unanimous "No!" So I continued, "God is omnipotent - he can do anything - right?" "Yes" they replied. "God is also omniscient - he knows everything - right?" "Of course" they said. I continued, "God is omnipresent - he is everywhere - right?" "Yes" they said. Then I asked, "So you are telling me that God who can do anything, knows everything and exists everywhere will not be able to get what he most wants?" They were rather silent...

But Kenny, this is really close to universalism. "Do you believe that everyone will be saved?" To which I reply - "I sure hope so!" God's grace is much larger than I ever imagined before in my life, maybe I still have too small a view of it. God is working...

Think about it...

1 comment:

Adam said...

Man, it's a good thing I'm the only one who reads this. You'd be branded a heretic for sure. Interesting thoughts. Almost as interesting as the conversations we've had on the subject.
AE