Wednesday, December 15, 2004

An Interesting Quote

Yesterday I read this, and I thought you might appreciate it, too...

"There's plenty wrong with everybody's ecclesiastical tradition. But at least we all have the Bible and the apostolic witness, so there's plenty right about us. As far as I'm concerned, nobody has to "convert" from one ecclesiastical tradition to another. We don't have to "move on," we just have to listen... the gospel is always weird enough to break right through anything our particular traditions may have gotten wrong. The truth that makes us free is always ticking away like a time bomb in the basement of everybody's church. And that truth isn't a bunch of ideas. It's Jesus. Sooner or later, if we just sit still and listen, he will blow the lid off any prison we've built."
- Robert Farrar Capon

Pray that the time bomb goes off soon in all our divided Christian traditions... Jesus prayed, "I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me." Maybe it's time to recognize the unity we already have in Jesus Christ and begin acting as a faithful witness in the world...

No comments: