Friday, December 17, 2004

In Over Your Head

I was reading a book this week called The Dream Giver by Bruce Wilkinson. As I was reading along I stumbled upon this wonderful story. Enjoy...

I was eating lunch with a friend who has a PhD in leadership development. I asked him, "Based on all your research and experience, what would you say is the most important secret to developing world-class leaders?"
He put down his fork. "Well, it's not a course, a lecture, or a book," he said. He picked up his fork and started eating again.
His answer intrigued me. I asked him to explain.
"The single best way to develop leaders," he said, "is to take people out of their safe environment and away from the people they know, and throw them into a new arena they know little about. Way over their head, preferably. In fact, the more demanding their challenges, the more pressure and risk they face, the more likely a dynamic leader will emerge."

This is exactly what Jesus did when he walked by people and said, "Come follow me!" Those who stayed never developed, those who followed almost always did. There is something about following Jesus that makes it impossible to stay where you are, doing what you are doing, and still manage to follow him to the point of him transforming your life into what he has planned for you. Think about that... then let go of the comfortable and jump in over your head!


No comments: